BLAKE FOUGHT

Blacksburg, Virginia

Blake Fought of Blacksburg, Virginia, was a 19-year-old with an illness that required that he be hospitalized and given liquids and nutrition through an IV line placed through his neck. When he had recovered from his illness and was ready to go home, the hospital sent a nurse to remove the IV line. Unfortunately, the nurse had never been properly trained to remove such a line and she did not follow proper procedure. When Blake began to gasp for air, the nurses failed to respond, telling Blake he was anxious and needed to calm down. Due to the improper procedure, a bubble of air had entered Blake’s blood vessels and traveled to his heart. In front of the nurses and his own parents, who were there to take their son home, Blake asphyxiated and died.

<Last Story  | 1 of 8 |  Next Story>